[Haskell-cafe] Why is $ right associative instead of left associative?

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Mon Feb 6 18:22:40 EST 2006

G'day all.

Quoting Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com>:

> Is there any chance that Haskell' will change the definition of $ ?
>
> Well, if there is any moment where we can afford introducing backward
> incompatible changes to Haskell', I think it's now or never!

I'm not convinced about this.  The purpose of Haskell', as I understand
it, is to fix the problem that no large Haskell programs (to a first
approximation) are valid H98 because they require some quite reasonable
language extensions.

Partly this is because research is an ongoing area.  Partly this is
because the purpose of H98 was to make a simple language suitable for
teaching.

There _is_ a time coming when H98's true successor will need to be made.
I'm not convinced that that time is now or never.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage