[Haskell-cafe] EclipseFP (Haskell IDE) 0.9.1 released

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Thu Feb 2 07:08:17 EST 2006

Hello Graham,

>> GK> So is there a compelling feature in this Eclipse plugin that isn't easily
>> GK> achieved using simpler tools?
>>
>> it's a list of what-i-want-from-the-IDE:

>> * autogeneration of prototypes
GK> I don't know what you mean by this.

adding type signatures of functions to module. this can be done by
programmatica tools, afair

>> * context help
GK> Very nice - might persuade me to use Eclipse routinely (I assume you mean things
GK> like getting help about functions, esp. prelude and standard libraries)

yes. btw, if you need it, you can use hasktags with a vim/emacs. it
allows you to jump right to the fucntion definition, which is more
informative and anyway typically contains text for the haddock. vim
even can show this function definition in the supplementary window
without jumping to it

>> * type-based function hierarchy browsing
GK> Very nice.  I assume this allows functions to be located from type signatures,
GK> including prelude and standard libraries.

seems that we say about different things. IDEs for OOP languages show
program hierarchy around the defined classes, that is unuseful for
Haskell. nevertheless, many functions typically grouped around types
they "support". so, a "module->type->function" view and
"type->function" view should be handy

GK> In summary, I think there's enough there to make me think seriously about using
GK> Eclipse for Haskell development, at least some of the time.

sorry, i said about ideal IDE, not about Eclipse (what i never seen,
after all). and of course i'm not the author of this package. sorry :)))

GK> Something I'd also like is in-editor warnings of features that are not supported
GK> uniformly across different implementations -- my (rough) criteria for "portable
GK> Haskell" has been to check that code runs with GHC and Hugs.

one thing that i skipped in my dream list is on-the-fly syntax checking

GK> Also, some form of integrated testing support would be nice.  There was brief
GK> discussion here some time ago about something like assert statements that could
GK> be checked at compile time -- if you have in-context expression evaluation then
GK> this wouldn't be a great leap:  e.g. scan the code for identifiable expressions
GK> that are expected to be true, and report warnings if they are not.

good idea. i think that i should place all our stuff at the
"IDE/Ideal" wiki

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com