[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and JVM (was: EclipseFP (Haskell IDE) 0.9.1 released)

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Feb 2 08:01:20 EST 2006

Thiago Arrais wrote:
> There is one issue, though, that touches a lot of sensitive areas. The
> Eclipse platform runs inside a Java Virtual Machine. Unfortunately,
> there isn't currently a way to compile Haskell to the JVM (at least I
> don't know of any, if someone knows, please let me know). This means
> the IDE has to be written in Java, not in Haskell. That's the price we
> are paying now. Writing a tool for a language in a different language.

Ah, now there's a thing!  I don't have any good answers, but I have a friend who
is interested in such things, and may even be looking for a project in this
area.  In our discussions, a number of links came up, but I'm not sure if I can
find them all.  Here's an attempt:

Nothing very specific to your ideas goal, but there's some work on compiling
functional code to JVM.

I was also talking to someone from Cambridge Comlab the other week who has an
FP-like system (for web service/portal creation) that uses JVM bytecode
modification.  maybe some useful experience to draw upon there?

I'm also reminded of a project I was in discussion about some time ago, which
was to explore use of Haskell program transformation techniques (hopefully
adapting some ideas from BMF/Squiggol) for implementing aspects of a JIT runtime
for JVM.  Unfortunately, that never took off (and was maybe too ambitious for
the effort contemplated).  There is some related work at the kestrel Institute

Graham Klyne
For email: