[Haskell-cafe] Number 1, at least for now

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Feb 1 22:14:34 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:01:28PM +1100, Ben Lippmeier wrote:
> I think there's a big-fat-lesson about the tension between abstraction
> and implementation in these entries.

though, I think this is a great oprotunity to improve ghc's optimizer.
compare the core output from the hand optimized ones with the naturally
written ones (that use the exact same algorithms, just not with all the
crazy hand-unboxing action) and look for places where ghc is not
optimizing something it could be. or at least, add some 'seq's until it
generates the same core and submit that program as it is more idiomatic
haskell if somewhat hand-optimized. (but not so much as to use explicit
boxing)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈