[Haskell-cafe] SYB and/or HList for XML, deserialization and collections

Alex Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Thu Dec 28 16:50:34 EST 2006

I'd really rather factor our the template haskell.  It does not leave me
feeling good.

At the specific level, TemplateHaskell doesn't solve the problem of
getting good XML element names.  For example with HList lets me annotate
labels with information about whether they are attributes or elements.

At the usage level, it does not traverse other modules easily and forces
you to do weird things with code order in order to compile.

At the concept level, I find it way too hard to think in terms of the
abstract syntax of Haskell.  I'd rather be thinking in terms of
application semantics.

At the implementation level, it forces the generation of standard
accessor names e.g. withFoo for every foo, rather than supporting a
general syntax for access or update.

-Alex-