[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 17:54:33 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:19:25PM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Imagine you are writing a version control client, people will complain
> because certain operations take 100's of years on their big Haskell
> repo. [I use Hugs, and complain that darcs on the Yhc repo sometimes
> goes into virtual non-termination - although I love both GHC and darcs
> at the same time]

Just to make it clear: the "virtual non-termination" problem in darcs
originates from the algoritm used for handling conflicts (AFAIK, it is
O(2^N)), not from the choice of implementation language. Darcs would
have the same problem if it was rewritten in any other language if it
still used the same algorithm.

Best regards
Tomasz