[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Sat Dec 23 06:46:49 EST 2006

G'day all.

Quoting Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com>:

> There are of course other real world scenarios. For example you may
> have competitors. I currently write C++ for my day job because in my
> industry (games) speed is a major "bullet point" on which you get
> judged.

I have a suspicion that this is the only industry where "speed" is the
most important concern, since games obey Blinn's Law.

For the uninitiated, Blinn's Law is the flip side of Moore's Law.  It
states that entertainment-related computer graphics business, the amount
of time that it takes to compute one frame is constant over time.  The
reason is that audience expectation increases at the same rate as computer
power.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage