[Haskell-cafe] Re: partial functions / failure, Maybe and MonadError and good style

Steve Downey sdowney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 21:44:35 EST 2006

'normal execution path' is a key phrase here. If we're truely thinking
functionally, there is no execution path. At most there are evaluation
strategies.
I suppose this is why Maybe is a monad rather than just another
algebraic data type.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the strategy of 'replacing failures by a list
of sucesses' where an empty list is possible.

This is exactly where I'm stuck. I've an eval1 function of ArithExpr
-> m ArithExpr, where m started out as Maybe. Now only the calling
eval function mentions Maybe.  And I was wondering if I could keep
eval1 generic.

OTOH, eval1 should really pass through information from the underlying parser...

Really RSN. When me, my laptop, and my wireless connection all meet at
the same time.