[Haskell-cafe] ST and Transformers

Pepe Iborra mnislaih at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 12:44:54 EST 2006

Hi J Garrett,

I don't see any problem in GHC 6.6. with:

 > runTest c = runST (runErrorT c)

*Main> runTest (return True)
Right True
*Main>

On the other hand, I try to define it firstly as below and got the
following error.

 > runTest = runST . runErrorT

     Couldn't match expected type `forall t. Test t r'
	   against inferred type `ErrorT e m a'
       Expected type: (forall t. Test t r) -> forall s. ST s a1
       Inferred type: ErrorT e m a -> m (Either e a)
     In the second argument of `(.)', namely `runErrorT'
     In the expression: runST . runErrorT

Rank-2 types seem to interact badly with (.) and ($), but my type
theory educated neuron doesn't know why. I think this is folklore
knowledge?

Cheers
pepe