[Haskell-cafe] Re: Versioning

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Thu Dec 21 11:07:25 EST 2006

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I must second this opinion.  There's this (false) perception that you
> need all
> kinds of extensions to make Haskell usable.  It's simply not true.
> Certain
> extensions can make your life easier, but that's it.

To write code in Haskell, this is true.

However, one of the wonderful things about Haskell is how much the type
system helps you.  And if you want the type system to help you even more
[which, as a programmer having suffered from dynamic typing too long, I
really want], those extensions are really needed.

In other words, you can program in Haskell just fine without
extensions.  But if you want that "next level" in type safety,
extensions is where it's at, at least for the kind of code I write.

Jacques