[Haskell-cafe] Versioning

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 05:00:46 EST 2006

Hello Joachim,

Wednesday, December 20, 2006, 11:22:24 AM, you wrote:

> The update code would now have to unmarshall a blob of game data,
> traverse it to find all instances of SomeData, wrap them in a
> one-element list to turn them into SomeData1s, reconstruct the blob of
> game data with the SomeData1 items, and marshall the result back out to
> disk.

marshalling and unmarshalling code can be geberated automatically using
Template Haskell ([1],[2]) or Data.Generics [3]

> That would mean I couldn't use infinite data structures in data that
> goes out to disk.

[1] also supports infinite data structures

[1] http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ekarttun/SerTH/SerTH-0.2.tar.gz
[2] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/AltBinary
    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/Streams
[3] http://members.cox.net/stefanor/genericserialize-0.0.tar.gz