[Haskell-cafe] Re: Versioning

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Dec 20 17:01:09 EST 2006

Robert Dockins schrieb:

> Let me just say here that what you are attempting to do sounds very
> difficult.  As I understand, you want to be able to serialize an entire
> application at some (predetermined / arbitrary?) point, change some of
> its code and/or data structures, de-serialize and run the thing
> afterwards.

Right.

Though it's not too far out of the ordinary. Haskell being a rather
orthogonal language, I had hoped that I can "simply serialize" any data
structure.

 > Doing something like this without explicit language support
> is going to be hard, especially in a fairly static language like Haskell.

Exactly.
I was intrigued when I found that libraries can do quite a lot
serialization in Haskell - that gives Haskell an excellent rating in
what could be called "aspect-orientedness".
It doesn't help to serialize functions values or thunks, though.

> I would think Smalltalk, Erlang, or something from the Lisp/Scheme
> family would be more suitable for this sort of work (caveat, I have
> little experience with any of these languages).

Erlang is actually on my list of potential alternatives. It has
different advantages than Haskell, though, and right now, I'm willing to
try Haskell.

> Also, take a look here (http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/526) for
> some related discussion.

I'm not sure whether that relates to my project. I let network
connections be handled by Apache and FastCGI, so I'm leaving out a whole
lot of library issues that hit that reported project really hard.

Regards,
Jo