[Haskell-cafe] Re: Versioning

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Dec 20 14:37:22 EST 2006

Ross Paterson schrieb:
>> It might be not feasible though. The papers mention that you can't
>> serialize (well, actually unserialize) function values with it. For the
>> envisioned update-through-marshalling process, this would prevent me
>> from ever using function values in data that needs to be persistent, and
>> that's quite a harsh restriction.
>
> That's hard to avoid, unless you have a data representation of the
> functions you're interested in.

I could encode functions by their name. I don't think that would scale
to a large application with multiple developers, but it's not this kind
of project anyway.
I'd be reluctant to accept that way if it means adding boilerplate code
for every function that might ever be serialized. Since I'm planning to
serialize an entire application, I fear that I'd need that boilerplate
code for 90% of all functions, so even a single line of boilerplate
might be too much.

Regards,
Jo