[Haskell-cafe] Success with Takusen (was: Type problem with simpletakusen code)

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 07:59:48 EST 2006

> To build a program, you need to do
>
>     ghc --make db.hs -o db D:\Oracle\Ora92\bin\oci.dll
>
> (put the path to your oci.dll here).
>
> This compiles your program, and links it with oci.dll to get the
> Oracle externals resolved.

I've been working with Paul on his linking problems, and there's a
gotcha for Oracle 10 users. Apparently the folder that contains oci.dll,
typically $ORACLE_HOME/bin, can also include hsbase.dll, which has
something to do with "Heterogeneous Services". Obviously (this being
Windows, where filenames are not case sensitive) this clashes with GHC's
HSbase.dll; hence linker errors.

I'm not sure exactly what the solution should be; one obvious one is to
not include "Heterogeneous Services" in your installation. I'm also not
sure if this affects Oracle clients; Paul hinted that he was pointing at
a server installation folder, so a standard client installation is
likely to be OK.

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is