[Haskell-cafe] Re: Getting my feet wet - small browser game

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Dec 20 03:04:20 EST 2006

Marc A. Ziegert schrieb:
> software upgrades:
> use Read/Show classes instead of Foreign.Marshal,

I'm having second thoughts here.
Wouldn't Show evaluate all thunks of the data Shown?
That would mean I couldn't use infinite data structures in data that
goes out to disk.

I don't think this would be a strong restriction for the communication
between simulation and satellites, but I'm pretty sure it would be for
doing backups of the simulation. Unfortunately, doing simulation backups
is also the area where versioning is probably the harder problem.

But I think I can work around that. I'd simply have to write a small
upgrade program whenever data structures change, which unmarshalls using
the old code and marshalls using the new code.

Regards,
Jo