[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev mrchebas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:34:45 EST 2006

Andy,

The GHC head can currently build against PAPI[1], a library for
gathering CPU statistics. At the moment you can only gather such
statistics for AMD Opteron but it shouldn't be difficult to port it
to other CPUs after a bit of browsing around the PAPI docs.
Installing PAPI requires installing a linux kernel driver though, so
it is not for the faint hearted.

We have used this library to find bottlenecks in the current code
generation and we have implemented ways of correcting them, so expect
some good news about this in the future.

I should get around to start a wiki page about using PAPI these days,
but meanwhile feel free to contact me if you need further information
or help.

Cheers,

Alexey

[1] http://icl.cs.utk.edu/papi/