[Haskell-cafe] A suggestion for the next high profileHaske ll project

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Tue Dec 19 15:49:33 EST 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:34:06 +0100, you wrote:

>Lazy semantics -> equational reasoning ?
>I thought that : lack of mutable state -> equational reasoning.
>For instance, I think to data flow variable in Oz (whcih I really
>don't know much / never used) : if a (Oz managed) thread attemps to
>read the value of an unbound (data flow) variable, it waits until
>another thread binds it. But the equational reasoning (referential
>transparency) remains (and the evaluation is eager by default).

How about this: Lazy semantics encourages one to write code in a way
that eases equational reasoning?

The classic example of this is a problem that has a finite solution, but
whose solution is most clearly expressed in terms of operations on
infinite structures.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/