[Haskell-cafe] On the various faces of Composition

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 19 12:52:24 EST 2006

[As recently seen on LtU - http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1919] An
amazing paper
http://www.dbmcintyre.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index_f/menu_f/j_f/apl95.pdf
on "composition" as seen from APL and J.  The terminology (using verbs,
nouns, adverbs, etc) is _so_ much more evocative than the terminology
used for similar ideas here, I hope that some of it can rub off.  Also,
if anyone thought that "point free" programming was something
mostly-recent, mostly-Haskell, they _really_ need to read this paper!

Also, I am fairly sure that some of the high-powered operators in J may
stress Haskell's type system quite severely, if not to the breaking
point.  It would be a fascinating exercise to try to reproduce the
various examples in that paper in as-idiomatic-as-possible Haskell.

While J's syntax is somewhat on the terse side, its power regarding
practical mathematics is superb -- especially when it comes to
polymorphism.

Jacques