[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

ls-haskell-developer-2006 at m-e-leypold.de ls-haskell-developer-2006 at m-e-leypold.de
Mon Dec 18 18:26:29 EST 2006

Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:57:59PM +0100, ls-haskell-developer-2006 at m-e-leypold.de wrote:
>> ... but I wonder: GPG, AFAIK undertakes some special measures to
>> ensure that neither clear text nor private keys are paged out to the
>> disk (since it might be recovered from there by "the enemy"). How
>> would you lock data in memory in Haskell? Would that be possible?
>>
>> It seems to me that all participants in this thread have missed this
>> point so far.
>
> You could just mlock() everything allocated by the RTS...

Brute force. :-) Certainly the most simple way to do it. But is that
option already here (say in ghc), or would one have to patch the
runtime for that?

Regards -- Markus