[Haskell-cafe] I'd like start with Haskell, but...

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 06:58:17 EST 2006

Hello Waldemar,

Sunday, December 17, 2006, 2:44:28 AM, you wrote:

> Maybe, but what is still unclear for me: Haskell is wrong for GUI/Database
> application because of lack of good libraries or because of it's way of
> programming???

primarily, first. to some degree, second too. Haskell doesn't provide such
elegant representation of imperative algorithms as imperative languages
does. just for example, counting sum [1..n]:

sum <- newIORef 0
i <- newIORef 1
let go = do i' <- readIORef i
            when (i'<n) $ do
                modifyIORef sum (+i')
                modifyIORef i   (+1)
                go
result <- readIORef sum

compare this to C code :)  of course, you can define a lot of
sugar/combinators that simplify such code but anyway C will be better in
this area

also:

it was several times mentioned that Haskell doesn't provide rich
environments for productive work, including lack of IDEs, bundled
"real-world" libs and so on. i want to mention alternative environments
that is better in these areas

1) F#, is Ocaml dialect integrated in .NET environment
2) Clean, very Haskell-like language with a commercial IDE, GUI libs and so on
3) Business Objects, integration of Haskell-like language into Java
environment, http://labs.businessobjects.com/cal

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com