A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project [Was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] What is a hacker?]

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Dec 15 11:26:41 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 17:45:45 +0100, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
[..]
>One is that it opens up new possibilities for individuals that were
>formerly closed to them. The two most prominent projects written in
>Haskell (darcs and Pugs) have both been started by a single person
>undertaking a project that would otherwise (i.e. without Haskell) have
>been just too complex to realize. (David Roundy once said that the C++
>version he started with had after a while "amassed a solid number of
>bugs", so he gave up on it and started a re-implemention in Haskell
>(which clearly hasn't met the same fate).) With Haskell complex things
>become manageable for individuals again, and this opens whole new areas
>in the "noosphere" to conquer.

When reading this[1] I couldn't help thinking that rewriting GPG is an
excellent opportunity for using Haskell to have an impact on the world.

/M

[1]: http://layer-acht.org/blog/debian/#1-58

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"`How do you feel?' he asked him.
`Like a military academy,' said Arthur, `bits of me keep passing out.'

-- Arthur after his first ever teleport ride.