[Haskell-cafe] what are the points in pointsfree?

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:12:33 EST 2006

Here, I think an examples worth a thousand poi....err, words. This one
comes from YAHT. Consider the two implementations of the following
function:

lcaseLetters :: String -> String
lcaseLetters s = map toLower (filter isAlpha s)

lcaseLetters :: Strint -> String
lcaseLetters = map toLower . filter isAlpha

Both functions will do the exact same thing. The second, however is
written completely in terms of function composition and application.
The s in the first implementation is what's being referred to as a
'point'.