[Haskell-cafe] Good Haskell introduction for an Ocaml programmer?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:40:37 EST 2006

Hello Brian,

> So I was wondering if there was a better introduction for me out there?
> I'm willing to pay for a book or read something online, whichever.

i think that there are not so much FP programmers learning Haskell
(comparing to number of imperative/OOP programmers) so you may be out of
luck here. you may just skip things that you already know. laziness,
advanced type system, monads and type classes would be main new concepts to
learn

you will find a lot of introductions into monads in the appropriate section
of http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials , including
introductions for Muchos, Monsters and even starship builders ;)  But the
best one is http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-could-have-invented-monads-and.html
you will also find here introduction into monad transformers

After you have groked what is monad you can read "all about monads":
http://www.nomaware.com/monads/html/index.html

you may also be interested in looking at great introduction into Parsec
library - parsing combinators is one of non-trivial application of monads:
"Parsec, a fast combinator parser" (sorry, i remember only title of this page)

you may also find interesting my explanation of IO monad:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IO_inside

page that describes how type classes works and why they are different to
OOP classes:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/OOP_vs_type_classes

also i found interesting to read chapter 7 of GHC users guide which
describes all extensions of type system in GHC comparing to Haskell98
standard

my another favorite is not about Haskell language but about using it for
real-world apps: "Tackling the awkward squad: monadic input/output,
concurrency, exceptions, and foreign-language calls in Haskell"
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/papers/marktoberdorf/marktoberdorf.ps.gz

one more very interesting reading describes main Haskell differences
comparing to previous languages:
http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/tmp/history-v2.pdf

--
Best regards,