[Haskell-cafe] Aim Of Haskell

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:01:07 EST 2006

Hallo,

On 12/13/06, Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:

> we have had lots of languages that were intended to be well-designed
> (good, beautiful, ..), but never much used in practice, and we have also
> had lots of languages that were intended to be pragmatic (practical,
> useful, ..), without much interest in theoretical beauty. but how many
> languages are there where the two aspects have converged, with both
> communities still actively interested in the result?

     Lua is a small scripting language created in academia, whose
authors are academics,  that has reached the industry embedded in
several well-known products such as World of Warcraft or Adobe
Lightroom (which is 40% Lua). Frequently people ask for bloat in the
mailing list, and the usual answer is "why?". The authors claim that
when thinking about a new version of Lua they don't think of features
to add, but what features they can remove.
     So I'd say it's perfectly possible to have an academia-backed
language useful for the "real world".

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/