[Haskell-cafe] Re: Aim Of Haskell

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:43:40 EST 2006

On 12/13/06, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Joachim,
>
> Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 2:17:08 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Actually, it's quite simple: following the ideology de jour and
> > teaching-relevant support.
>
> are you remember title of Wirth's book? "algorithms + data structures =
> programs". i think that Haskell is ideal language for teaching programming
> now (like Pascal was in 80's), because it teaches how to develop algorithms
> instead of focusing on implementation details. of course, you are right
> that fashion and availability drives actual teachers selection

That's a good point too. Actually, though, my original comment about
understanding the reasons for programming language adoption was not
just meant to refer to adoption in an educational context, but also to
the reasons why people adopt the languages they do for commercial (or
research or free software) projects, as well; so, I don't think it's
quite *that* simple, although I should have been more clear.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers."