[Haskell-cafe] Re: Trivial database access in Haskell

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Dec 13 00:02:34 EST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:46:44 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:

> What I *can* do, is to attempt to install one of the libraries that
> looks closest to what I want (probably HDBC, because I'm familiar with
> the Python DB-API). But I honestly have little or no idea how to start
> - following the HDBC link on the Haskell Wiki leads to a huge list of
> tar.gz files, with no indication of which one I might want :-(

You're right, and that's my fault, and something I hope to fix this
weekend.

In the interim, you will want the latest hdbc_*.tar.gz file, then the
latest hdbc-odbc_*.tar.gz file.  You will connect to Oracle using the ODBC
backend for HDBC.

I can't help you set up your Oracle ODBC drivers, but once you have that
going, connecting up to it should be fairly trivial.

As far as example code goes, I've written a few programs that use HDBC.
Check out DB.hs in hpodder (http://software.complete.org/hpodder) or
gopherbot (http://darcs.complete.org/gopherbot).

-- John