[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Phooey -- a Functional UI library for Haskell

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Dec 12 21:14:59 EST 2006

Thanks much for these thoughtful questions and implementation perspectives.

Internally, Phooey works very like an imperative GUI program, pushing
computations when inputs change.  So I'd expect it to have pretty much the
same performance properties.   As you mentioned, lazy evaluation can play a
role in making evaluation subtler.  The laziness probably doesn't work out
as nicely as we'd like, however.  On an input change, a new output value is
constructed lazily, but then a call is to the underlying low-level gui
toolkit (eg wxWidgets), which will cause the output value to be fully
evaluated.  I'm assuming that wxHaskell doesn't do clever postponing &
collapsing of output calls to wxWidgets.  But perhaps it could do so, or
Phooey could do so on top of wxHaskell.  Probably a good idea, and it
certainly hadn't occurred to me.

The paper I'm working is partly about Phooey the interface, but more about
systematically refactoring the imperative programming style into the Phooey
interface and its implementation.  This derivation is why I believe that
Phooey is operationally very like the imperative approach (while presenting
a radically different interface).  It could be that Phooey internally
operates like a naive imperative GUI program, of the sort I tend to write.

Thanks also for the suggested example and discussion of requirements of the
underlying imperative toolkit.

Best regards, - Conal