[Haskell-cafe] Re: a cabal/database lib experience

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:49:14 EST 2006

Hi

> > have later commands include earlier ones. So,
> >
> >    setup.py install
> >
> > automatically does "build" (there is no explicit configure step).
>
> Sounds entirely reasonable to me.  Though configure takes a bunch of arguments;
> so if configure is run automatically it'll always be with the default settings.
>   Maybe that's ok.

I would love this. I have a batch file on my computer called
cabal-ghc, which does a configure, then a build, then an install. I've
never felt the need to pass flags to configure, and as it happens, I
wouldn't have a clue what flags to pass in anyway. This reduces the
number of cabal steps to install a library, less is clearly better!

I also have cabal-hugs which installs the library under hugs, and
cabal-all, which configure/build/install's the library under hugs and
ghc. Those 6 commands are really annoying, this way i can do cabal-all
and go away and come back later.

Thanks

Neil