[Haskell-cafe] Mozart versus Beethoven (was: Writing "Haskell For Dummies ...)

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Tue Dec 12 12:36:22 EST 2006

Hello,

In the spring of 1978, I wrote a (circa) 700-word microprogram for
multiprecision integer arithmetic on paper, typed it into a computer, had it
cleaned of syntax errors by the micro-code assembler, printed it, and spent
much of the summer in my mother's summer house debugging this program text by
hand, without the use of any automated computing device of any kind. I found
lots of errors, corrected them, rechecked the result by hand, found
additional errors, corrected those and, finally, (in the autumn of 1978) ran
the program for the first time. Every multiprecision integer operation but
division worked. After some debugging, a single (rather silly) error was
found in the division routine. I never found additional errors in this code.

This is not intended to imply that I am a Mozart rather than a Beethoven (most
likely neither!) in the field of programming. Rather, it is an attempt to
point out that the development environments that we use these days encourage
a completely different mode of work than what was used some 20-30 years ago.
Thus, today, I do like I have the impression most programmers do, compile and
run (tests) as often as possible, even every very few keystrokes of code
changes.

I am not an expert in the difference between composers like Mozart and
Beethoven, but my expert father tells me that Mozart, reputedly, had a
phenomenal musical memory that allowed him both to recall large sequences of
music played to him and, undoubtably also, work with long sequences of
"hypothetical" music, that is, music being composed, for prolonged periods,
in his head, without the need to make any notes on paper etc.

It seems that such differences in modes of work does not imply any similar
interesting or usefully utilizable difference in the way we should produce
our programs. The analogy seems irrelevant, in other words.

Best regards
Thorkil