[Haskell-cafe] Re: Aim Of Haskell

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 09:32:15 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Arie Peterson <ariep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Haskell is just too similar to Pascal.
>
> This makes me wonder how people pronounce "Pascal". It's probably because
> I'm from Europe, but I put the stress on the second syllable. Pronouncing
> it like "rascal" is, well, funny :-).

For whatever it's worth, I'm American and have mainly heard Americans
pronounce it with the stress on the second syllable -- however, when I
mention programming in Haskell to other Americans, I get the "oh, you
mean Pascal?" response sometimes too, even though I pronounce
"Haskell" with the stress on the first syllable. I'm not sure why,
since it's not as if anyone programs in Pascal anymore.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"Never wear shorts with the name of your town across the ass if you live in