[Haskell-cafe] Good Haskell introduction for an Ocaml programmer?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Dec 12 07:40:09 EST 2006

bhurt:

> Greetings, all.  I'm an experienced Ocaml programmer, looking to broaden
> my horizons yet further and pick up Haskell, and I'm wondering if there's
> a good introduction to Haskell for me.  I have Simon Thompson's "Haskell:
> The Craft of Functional Programming", which isn't a bad book, but I'm
> something of a special case.  I'm already familiar with and comfortable
> with a lot of concepts which are new to your average C++/Java programmer-
> things like symbolic computation and recursion as looping and applicative
> data structures.  So churning through introductions to these concepts
> looking for the rare nugget of new information is, well, kinda boring.  On
> the other hand there are a lot of Haskell concepts I'm not comfortable
> with, like monads.
>
> So I was wondering if there was a better introduction for me out there?
> I'm willing to pay for a book or read something online, whichever.

All good things are findable from http://haskell.org :)

We've been working recently on a comparative OCaml/Haskell introductory
text, which might be helpful for some beginner issues, syntax, and a few
intermediate things like typeclasses:

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/A_brief_introduction_to_Haskell

it can be read side-by-side with the Introduction to OCaml, linked on
the same page. Otherwise, YAHT is a good start:

    http://darcs.haskell.org/yaht/yaht.pdf

and there's some other good things on:

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials

Feel free to drop  by #haskell, we've quite a few OCaml refugees there :)

-- Don