[Haskell-cafe] Re: a cabal/database lib experience

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 07:30:51 EST 2006

Claus Reinke wrote:

> cabal:
>    - the separation into interpreter/compiler and resource as Setup
>        does not set up the right mindset in users. for instance, you can
>        "runhaskell Setup.hs --help" as for most unixy tools, but who'd
>        think of that in this situation, and how much does it help?
>
>    + add a dedicated command "cabal", which does nothing more
>        than "runhaskell Setup", but is more memorable and suggestive

cabal-setup does this, but wasn't included with the latest release of Cabal.  It
should be in the next one, I hope.  The plan is to deprecate 'runhaskell
Setup.lhs' in favour of 'cabal-setup'.   Feel free to suggest changing the name
to 'cabal', although some might argue that 'cabal-get' is the high-level tool
and should therefore get the name 'cabal' instead.

>    - cabal/darcs/haddock are no replacement for minimal help texts:
>        cabal should require the existence of a README

absolutely, this has occurred to me too.  There should be a stanard Cabal README
file, and Don's mkcabal tool could drop it in the tree.

Cheers,
	Simon