[Haskell-cafe] Writing "Haskell For Dummies Or At Least For People Who Feel Like Dummies When They See The Word 'Monad'"

Gour list at atmarama.org
Mon Dec 11 15:29:20 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:42 -0600, Nicolas Frisby wrote:

> Two cents:

Two (Croatian) lipas, much less than two cents :-(

> 3) This would be the first book introducing the nuances of large
> systems development in Haskell to Haskell programmers. Explaining well
> various monads (e.g. how to use mtl), or other things necessary for
> "practical Haskell" (e.g. ByteString, database interface, web app,
> parsing, and many other systems libraries), requires of the audience a
> rather thorough understanding of Haskell's type system (MPTC and other
> extensions for mirth).

Right. We need something practical after one is finished with e.g.
Thompson's Craft or Hudak's SOE.

> I love the analogies as much as the next programming languages
>  researcher, but I think introducing Haskell in text has been done and
>  done well--it doesn't need a new approach. So don't reinvent the
>  "learn Haskell" text; that way you can spend time on the good stuff.

I agree and want to encourage the effort to bring 'practical Haskell' to
the masses.

Today one user in #haskell.hr expressed his doubt whether "...Haskell
has any future out of academic circles..."

Sincerely,
Gour