[Haskell-cafe] Writing "Haskell For Dummies Or At Least For People Who Feel Like Dummies When They See The Word 'Monad'"

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:35:41 EST 2006

On 12/11/06, Andrew Wagner <wagner.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, perhaps if nothing else, we could use a wikibook to
> collaboratively work on the structure of such a book, and then from
> that you could publish a "real" book. I don't really know the legal
> issues, though. I am thinking of several books though which have been
> written and released both as full paper books, and as free digital
> books. Could we do something similar?

I definitely think using a wiki to work on the book would be a good
idea. I just wouldn't want to imply that that meant it would
necessarily be a public wiki or that it would be around forever. The
legal issues are basically that publishers don't want to publish books
that people can get for free off the web (whether or not you agree
with this logic). There are exceptions to this, like Lessig's _Free
Culture_, but it's my impression that they usually involve authors who
have enough sway that publishers will let them get away with whatever
they want.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--