[Haskell-cafe] IFF reader and writer

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Dec 11 10:01:55 EST 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Chris Kuklewicz wrote:

> This parser was quick to write and works on AIFF files.  It does not do much
> validation, and bits from 2 to 4 GB in length will cause errors.
>
> module LoadIFF(IFF(..),parseIFF,IDType,FormType,ContentsType) where

In order to preserve your code I put it here:
  http://darcs.haskell.org/iff/

There was still the problem that data chunks have only an 8-byte header
(chunk name and size), whereas structure chunks (FORM, CAT, LIST, PROP)
contain 12 bytes (chunk name, size, format name).

Some people may find the task too simple to be worth an extra library,
however it would be nice if libraries that process IF formats would use a
common data structure. Then it would be easy to compose IFF files from
components of different type.