[Haskell-cafe] GADTs vs arrows/typeclasses

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Dec 6 15:44:30 EST 2006

I don't think I'm the only one confused here.  Henrik Nilson in his
paper on adding GADTs to Yampa comments that:

   However, the recent addition of Generalized Algebraic Data
   Types (GADTs) [26] to the list of Haskell extensions supported
   by the Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC) gives programmers a
   lot more freedom. GADTs are a limited form of dependent types,
   offering a considerably enlarged scope for capturing and thus en-
   forcing important code and data invariants statically. In particular,
   GADTs are just what is needed to address the problem discussed
   above since the key idea is to allow constructors that have more spe-
   cific types than usual, and to take that extra type information into
   account in individual case branches. GADTs would no doubt also
   offer an interesting alternative to the methods described by Baars
   and Swierstra [1] and Hughes [19].

[1] and [19] are papers about Arrows.

I guess I'm also not sure what belongs in a GADT and what belongs in a
typeclass e.g. here is an Arrow GADT

   data Arrow b c where
     Arr::(b->c) -> Arrow b c
     Compose::Arrow b c -> Arrow c d -> Arrow b d
     First::Arrow a b -> Arrow (a,c) (b,c)

When Arrow is defined like this, rather than write instances you just
various evaluation functions for the Arrow GADT.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com