[Haskell-cafe] Re: Draft MissingH Reorg Plan

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 09:04:08 EST 2006

John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:

> > About Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec.RFC2234 and the like.  ...
> >        ...             you do not in
> > fact define any new combinators for parsing.  What you have there is
> > a parser
> This module provides parsers for the grammar defined in RFC2234,
> alpha :: CharParser st Char
> bit :: CharParser st Char
> character :: CharParser st Char
> cr :: CharParser st Char

Yes, I do see the point that these are rather generic and basic parsers.
(But they are not combinators as such, just alternative "primitives" of
the domain-specific parsing language.)  I guess they could easily live
with Parsec after all, unless there is an obviously better place for
them in the hierarchy.

> Does the above suggest a single good place for them to you?

You mean, for the constructed parsers, as well as the basics?  I suppose
I would go for much the same suggestions as before, apart from RFC2234:

Conceivably, you might want to drop the RFC part of the latter two names,
and merely refer users to the relevant RFC in the Haddock docs?