[Haskell-cafe] RE: Safe forking question

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 4 07:43:00 EST 2006

[ duh, hit send by mistake, message continues... ]

Chris Kuklewicz wrote:

> forkInheritIO :: IO () -> IO ThreadId -- inherits parent's
> block or unblock status
>
> forkBlockedIO :: IO () -> IO ThreadId -- starts the action in
> "block" mode.  Must manually "unblock"

Either of these is certainly possible, and I agree that forkBlockedIO is more generally useful than my forkCatchIO.

One tantalising possibility is that we could make forkIO have the forkInheritIO behaviour without breaking much code, since I bet forkIO is almost never called inside block.

Cheers,
        Simon