[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: data structures question

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Thu Aug 31 16:02:43 EDT 2006

Benjamin Franksen wrote:
> Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
>> Benjamin Franksen wrote:

>>> Surely you meant to say

True, I did make that mistake.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Ben
>> And
>>
>> type Value = Double
>> newtype PointNat = PointNat Int deriving (...Ix)
>> type Point = (State,State,PointNat)
>>
>> Or even
>>
>> type TypeVof a = Array PointNat a
>> type TypeV = TypeVof Value
>>
>> I did not even run the code I wrote through ghci, I was just showing what
>> it could look like.
>>
>> And stop calling me Shirley.
>
> Dear Chris,
>
> Could you please be a bit more explicit? Have I offended anyone? Or else,
> how do I have to understand this comment other than as a rebuke? And how
> comes you answer this as if you were the one who posted the code, and not a
> person named Matthias Fischmann?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  No one has been offended or given offense.

The Surely/Shirley is a reference to the classic 1980 motion picture "Airplane!"
in which the humor includes a repeated motif [1]:

> Rumack: Mr. Striker, the passengers are getting worse. You must land soon.
> Ted Striker: Surely there must be something you can do.
> Rumack: I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley.

> Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
> Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

> Please note that English is not my native tongue so there is always the
> possibility that I misunderstood something, or that I express myself badly
> and so cause misunderstandings. Is the expression "Surely you meant to say
> <whatever>" perceived as offending or arrogant, perhaps? In this case I
> would gladly apologize and assure everyone that this was not intended!

Nothing was offensive or arrogant.I just saw it as an opportunity to reference
the joke.

> I posted this correction only in order to avoid confusion for the OP, who
> described himself as a beginner with regard to Haskell. I didn't mean to be
> nitpicking or anything like that. If I have made a mistake, either
> technically or by chosing the wrong words, then please tell me so.
>
> Your answer to my other posting today is of a similar nature, i.e.
> completely obscure to me, and totally disregarding the essence of my
> question. If there is something personal involved here (for which I can't
> imagine any reason other than the above mentioned one) maybe it would be
> better to clearly say so (and sort this out in private and not on this
> list).

I am sorry my other posting was off topic.  Sometimes I contribute what occurs
to me instead of what is relevant.

Cheers,
   Chris

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes