[Haskell-cafe] state and exception or types again...

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Tue Aug 29 04:11:23 EDT 2006

Il Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:45:46AM +0100, Brian Hulley ebbe a scrivere:
> Andrea Rossato wrote:
> >Il Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:28:02PM +0100, Brian Hulley ebbe a
> >scrivere:
> >>where the 4th element of the tuple is True iff we can continue or
> >>False iff an exception occurred.
> >
> >I'm starting to believe that the best method is just take the way
> >StateT takes... without reinventing the wheel...
>
> The solution I gave was very close to being correct. I enclose a tested
> example below - you'll need to adapt it to do evaluation but it shows an
> exception being raised.

I said I think that the StateT approach is the one to take only
because I believe that the complexity of the definition of >>= is
getting unmanageable, that is, as far as I understand, contrary to the
spirit of haskell, and functional programming in general.

so, start getting my hands dirty in monadic combinations is probably
the best for improving my knowledge of haskell and functional
programming.
what do you think?

Thank you very much for your kind attention and the greatly
illuminating  examples!
Best regards,
Andrea