[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Exists any null instruction in Haskell?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 18:40:00 EDT 2006

[Moving to haskell-cafe]

Hi,

> I want to know if it exists a null instruction (a instruction
> that do anything

Not really, since instructions don't "do anything" anyway - they only
compute values.

If you are in the IO monad then "return ()" is the do nothing.

In the function world, "id" is the do nothing.

In recursive list processing, then something like [] is probably the
"base case" in a recursive function, so stops the recursivity.

If you give a more concrete example, then maybe we can give you a better answer.

Thanks

Neil