[Haskell-cafe] difference between type and newtype

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Aug 26 05:44:19 EDT 2006

Il Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:02:36AM +0200, Andrea Rossato ebbe a scrivere:
> perhaps this is silly, but it is not possible to declare function
> types?
>
> could you please indicate me some documentation that explains this
> kind of stuff? So far I didn't find anything on that.

well, I've found something in the Report:
6.1.6  Function Types
Functions are an abstract type: no constructors directly create
functional values. The following simple functions are found in the
Prelude: id, const, (.), flip, ($), and until.

Now I'm trying to understand what "directly" stands for...

andrea