[Haskell-cafe] implementing a csv reader

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Wed Aug 23 15:37:14 EDT 2006

L.S.,

Reading and writing a comma seperated datafile doesn't have to be that
complicated; the following is an easy way to read a CSV file into a list
of tuples and display the list on screen:

> displayTuples =
>   do
>    csvData <- readFile "data.csv"
>    putStrLn $ unlines $ map (show . readTuple) $ lines csvData

> readTuple :: String -> (Int, Bool, String)
> readTuple line = read tuple
>   where    tuple = '(' : line ++ ")"

If the file "data.csv" contains the following:
   1, True, "Festina lente"
   2, False, "Carpe diem"

displayTuples displays:
   (1,True,"Festina lente")
   (2,False,"Carpe diem")

Writing a list of tuples to a CSV file is even simpler:

> writeTuples file tuples =  writeFile file $ unlines $ map (tail . init .
> show) tuples

The call:
   writeTuples "new.csv" [(1, 'a'), (2, 'b')]
results in a file containg:
   1,'a'
   2,'b'

(without the leading spaces)