[Haskell-cafe] implementing a csv reader

Andy Elvey andy.elvey at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 23 02:09:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 11:59 +0200, Tamas K Papp wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:26:45AM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>
> >   See also
> >      http://www.xoltar.org/languages/haskell.html
> >      http://www.xoltar.org/languages/haskell/CSV.hs
>
> Thanks.  Haskell is incredibly neat ;-)
>
> Now I need to find something else for practice.  Is there anything
> related to data analysis/statistics that is lacking is Haskell?
>
> Best,
>
> Tamas

Maybe a crosstab app? Say, read in some csv data and do a crosstab of
it.

I was looking at doing one myself quite a while back, but I'm an
*ultra-newbie* when it comes to Haskell, and such an app would be a real
handful for me... :-)

I don't know if it'll help at all (as Python is very different to
Haskell) but here's a link to a Python "recipe" which does this -

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/334695

A Haskell equivalent would (imo) be a *great* example/appetiser for
Haskell. Very useful for newbies too, as even for a simple thing like
reading data line-by-line, it's really useful to have an
easy-to-understand example. A crosstab app mightn't be that easy to
_do_, but I think it would be easy to understand.

Just my 2c worth ...
- Andy