[Haskell-cafe] Why Exotic Languages Are Not Mainstream

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Fri Aug 11 15:26:16 EDT 2006

At Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:39:24 +0400,
Ivan Tarasov wrote:
> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Is there a console version of lambdabot? I compiled and installed it
> locally, but it seems to print out the IRC messages, not plain-text
> messages. Do I need to install a local IRC server or is it possible to
> switch it to the plain-text mode?

Did you get the darcs version? The version I got from darcs works in
offline/plain-text mode by default. You have to give it the --online
flag to get it to connect to the server.

If you run it, and it gives you a prompt like,

Then I think it is working in offline mode. However, it maybe be too
chatty by default:

lambdabot> pl \x y -> x + y
IrcMessage {msgPrefix = "null!n=user at null", msgCommand = "PRIVMSG", msgParams = ["#haskell",":@pl \\x y -> x + y"]}

If you hack at the code, there is probably a line of code you can
comment out to suppress the 'IrcMessage' debug output.

You could also the the GoA extension so that you can talk to lambdabot inside ghci.