[Haskell-cafe] Flags

Maduser Maduser at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 06:24:10 EDT 2006

I have started to program in Haskell.  Now I want programm something like
flags.  It's a set of flags. It sould be possible to convert the Flag as
Int/String (the bit combination). I have written this:

import Data.Set as Set

type Flags = Set Flag
data Flag = Flag1 | Flag2 | Flag3
	deriving(Eq, Ord, Enum, Show)

flagToInt :: Flags -> Int
flagToInt flags = flag1 + flag2 + flag3
	where
	flag1 = if member Flag1 flags then 1 else 0
	flag2 = if member Flag2 flags then 2 else 0
	flag3 = if member Flag3 flags then 4 else 0

but this seems to me to be inelegant. Can somebody help me making it better,
please.