[Haskell-cafe] Why Not Haskell? (sidenote on licensing)

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 09:11:40 EDT 2006

> Note that there are many people who will not do work on a BSD project since a
> company can just come along and take it.  People are free to choose GPL or BSD
> for their work and then other people are free to choose whether to derive work
> from them.

But this is just the thing, isn't it? The GPL has its purpose, and is
a great license for applications like Apache or RedHat, where you
don't want companies to just come along and take the code. But for
library code, which is what this discussion was all about from the
beginning, why ever would you *not* want anyone, anywhere, to take and
use your code? And in particular so for Haskell, where we are striving
hard to make industry catch on.

/Niklas