[Haskell-cafe] Why Not Haskell?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Fri Aug 4 15:31:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> Hans van Thiel wrote:
>> I'm wondering why I can't find any commercial Haskell applications on
>> the Internet. Is there any reason for this?
>
> Of course.  Corporations are conservative to the point of being
> boneheaded.  So to avoid risk, they all went on the internet and said,
> "Gee, I can't find any commercial Haskell applications on the Internet.
> There must be a reason for that, so I better use something else."

Or maybe they're more clever than you imagine, and they all have rooms
full of Haskell programmers sworn to secrecy, trying to get a jump on
the competition.  Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that the Python
stuff at Google was just a side-show, and Haskell was really the big
development language all along?  (Not true, I'm sure - you could sort
of stand a chance of starting a secret Python development project, but
Haskell I doubt.)

	Donn