[Haskell-cafe] Why shouldn't variable names be capitalized?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Aug 4 15:13:30 EDT 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Martin Percossi wrote:

> I agree that naming can be abused. But I think it should be *me*, the
> programmer, or in the limit ghc, the glorious compiler (but only because of
> unresolvable ambiguities), who decides it -- not *you*, the language
> implementor!!! ;-)

The ML constructor/variable ambiguity introduces a nasty maintenance
headache: what if you upgrade to a new version of a library which
introduces a new constructor which happens to be the same as a variable
you have been using? Suddenly the meaning of your functions changes!

Tony.
FISHER: WEST OR NORTHWEST 4 OR 5 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. FAIR. MODERATE OR
GOOD.