[Haskell-cafe] Monad Imparative Usage Example

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Aug 2 11:41:26 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> Of course, if you're learning Haskell, you should probably try to
> /avoid/ mutable variables for a while.

Along the same line, I note that proposed solutions seem to use
features relatively recently added to the language, is that true?
StateT requires multi-parameter type class, for example, so it
can't have been there all along.  MVar is pretty new, isn't it?
IORef must be the oldest of them, but hardly there from the start,
I suspect.

To learn core concepts, maybe it's a good idea to stay away
from GHC in the beginning, and use Hugs or something that tends
not to be so much of a magnet for new features.  That forces you
to look for a solution on the terms of the basic language concepts.

	Donn